BOISE — The Idaho Steelheads hammered in a power-play goal with 1:21 left in overtime to beat Utah 5-4 Friday night at CenturyLink Arena in a game that lasted almost three hours.
Utah finishes their season-long seven-game road trip 3-2-1-1 and collects eight of 14 standings points as they head home to open a seven-game homestand today at 7 p.m. with the Idaho Steelheads.
The wild game featured four different one-goal leads with Idaho up 1-0, 2-1, 3-2 and Utah up 4-3 in the third period. The game was tied for 40:36 minutes of the 63:39 played. The two teams combined for 89 shots, with Utah outshooting Idaho 47-42.
All four Utah goals came on the power-play with Mitch Wahl (15,16, 17) and Bryan Cameron (15) scoring.
Utah tied the game at 3 with 0.7 seconds left in the second period and took a 4-3 lead 1:34 into the third period on a Bryan Cameron goal. The Grizzlies tied the game 2:58 after falling behind 3-2. They tied the game at 2 less than two minutes into the second period as Mitch Wahl hammered home a loose puck in the crease.
Shane Owen stopped 37 of 42 shots, once again in place of the injured Andrew Engelage.
Today's game is "Pooch on the Pond" with a $20 ticket available for a dog and their companion.
UVU on the air
Texas-Pan American (12-12, 3-1) at Utah Valley (10-13, 1-3)
Today, 7 p.m.
UCCU Center, Orem
Radio: 960 AM
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Boys high school top track performances, 2013...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 86
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 68
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 68
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 52
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 39
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 30
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 21