A demographic disaster? 13 abortions for every 10 live births in Russia
According to author Jonathan Last, things like long-term cohabitation rather than marriage, divorce and abortions are contributing to major population declines in Russia, while Russian President Vladimir Putin is trying to fight back against a possible "demographic disaster."
The Weekly Standard reported that Putin brought Boyz II Men to Moscow on Feb. 6, saying that the band would "hopefully give Russian men some inspiration ahead of St. Valentine's Day."
The move was one of many Putin has taken or proposed to try to boost his country's declining population, including a "mother capital" policy that would pay women up to $10,000 to have a second child, The Financial Times reported in December. Putin's goal, according to a recent speech, is to make the three-child family the norm in Russia.
Russia's demographic disaster, Last said, is being exasperated by the fact that abortions are outpacing live births in Russia.
"'Abortion is rampant, with 13 abortions performed for every 10 live births," Last wrote. "Consider that for a moment: Russians are so despondent about the future that they have 30 percent more abortions than births."
This, Last said, might be "the most grisly statistic the world has ever seen," and it suggests a society that no longer has the will to live.
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ebola kills Liberian doctor, 2 Americans...
- Northern California wildfire destroys 10 homes
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Varying health premium subsidy amounts... 13
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 13