Chevy does diesel with Cruze
It targets Volkswagen sales with new-to-U.S. compact-car tech
General Motors is following the Volkswagen playbook by bringing a diesel-powered small car from Europe to the United States.
The automaker will introduce the diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze compact on Thursday at the Chicago Auto Show.
Volkswagen, which offers diesels in a number of its cars including the Jetta compact sedan, gets almost 18 percent of its sales from diesel-powered models. Last year, the German automaker's U.S. sales rose more than 30 percent.
"We expect to beat the Jetta in terms of price, features, range, even horsepower and torque," said Gary Aultman, chief engineer for Chevrolet small cars.
With the diesel Cruze, GM will sell both performance and gas mileage. Diesel engines usually are about 30 percent more efficient than gas motors because they compress the air-fuel mixture at a higher level. They also have more power at lower speeds, allowing faster acceleration.
The Cruze, made in Lordstown, Ohio, has been a good seller for GM. During some months of 2011, it was the top-selling compact in the U.S. But that was largely because Toyota and Honda factories were hobbled by an earthquake and their dealers ran short of cars. GM sold nearly 238,000 Cruzes last year, a 2.6 percent increase over 2011.
A new two-liter turbo diesel with 148 horsepower and ample power at all engine speeds. The car initially will be sold only with a six-speed automatic transmission, beefed up for the diesel's higher power. GM says the diesel will go from zero to 60 mph in 8.6 seconds, which the company says is better than the Jetta with an automatic transmission.
The Cruze is expected to get at least 42 mpg on the highway. City and combined mileage testing is not finished. An eco version of the gasoline-powered Cruze also gets 42 mpg on the highway with a manual transmission, but GM says it doesn't perform nearly as well as the diesel.
- How to avoid wasting money on fees
- Maverik launches anti-DUI campaign as UHP...
- Utah coal: A story of families, jobs and...
- School pays tribute to janitor 'Mr. Steve'...
- Balancing act: Quest for work-life balance...
- Israeli man allegedly launched cyberattack on...
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Make time to...
- A younger generation of farmers gets in the dirt
- There's more to why Americans don't... 13
- The battle over coal struggles to find... 4
- US productivity up 3.3 percent in... 2
- How Medicare is trying to start a... 2
- Randy Shumway: Invest in education to... 2
- World stocks fall after Fed suggests... 1
- Balancing act: Quest for work-life... 1
- Is there a bigger picture to the selfie? 1