Charles Dharapak, ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama is telling leaders at the annual National Prayer Breakfast he hopes they maintain the morning's bipartisan spirit a little longer.
The president says he often returns from the gathering and turns on cable news, only to find that prayers for unity have already faded away. He jokes that, quote, he'd "like to think that the shelf life wasn't so short."
Obama says this time, he hopes the gathered leaders retain their humility, not just for the annual hour-long meeting, but for every hour of the day. He says, quote, "Those of us with the most power and influence must be the most humble."
Republican Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama, host of this year's breakfast, responded by thanking Obama for being his president.
- LDS couple with triplets expecting twins:...
- Royals Pitcher Jeremy Guthrie expresses...
- Partially paralyzed LDS runner completes...
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church...
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a dozen
- Polygamy essays provide information about...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Wright Words: Are you an odd duck?
- Polygamy essays provide information... 69
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 61
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 22
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Using faith... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- New Harmony: Church questions? I have a... 15
- 'Meet the Mormons' an example of church... 7