The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Our take: The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is composed of 360 volunteer singers ages 25-60 who practice and perform weekly and are frequently accompanied by the Orchestra at Temple Square. Choir singers are all members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Amram Musungu became one of the first Africans to sing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
Amran Musungu is a quiet and unassuming man with great vision and endless ambition. Accompanied by his wife and two children he returned to Kenya from the United States at Christmas time to visit his family. He came to the Regional Public Affairs Office in Nairobi and described his adventure and story of the miraculous events that lead to the example he provides for his fellow countrymen.
Bro. Musungu was introduced to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1992 in Nairobi where he was baptized. Shortly thereafter he served as a full-time missionary, first in Nairobi, and then in Tanzania. Amran came from very humble circumstances but realized that he had to pursue his educational goals even though he had no financial resources that would permit him to go to college in Nairobi. He went door-to-door trying to find a scholarship to study in Nairobi, but was unable to find support. He did not succeed. He refused to stop trying because he felt that if he could be successful his village would be successful. Amran applied for scholarships in America to BYU-Idaho, LDS Business College, and Brigham Young University. The LDS Business College offered him a scholarship and he was able to travel to the United States. When he arrived in Salt Lake City he had $50, did not know anyone, and had no place to stay. He fasted and prayed and knew that he would be blessed. And he was. He was given a cleaning job at the business college that provided funds to pay for his tuition. He found a former missionary couple who served in his country that let him live in their home for a few months until he found an apartment.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and Winston...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Nelson Mandela's faith made him a worldwide...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 52
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 26
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 26
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 22
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 21
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 18
- Space and religion: How believers view... 13
- Tips for living: One woman's journey to... 9