Sen. Marco Rubio to deliver GOP State of Union response in English, Spanish
WASHINGTON — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will deliver the Republican response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday.
House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky announced the selection of Rubio on Wednesday, calling him a strong advocate of conservative principles.
The 41-year-old Rubio was given a prominent speaking role at last year's Republican National Convention and has been touted as a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
The Cuban-American lawmaker has played a leading role among Republicans in seeking immigration reform, one of the year's top legislative priorities for both parties.
On the economy, he has said tax increases will not bring down the nation's $16 trillion debt and urged policies to promote economic growth and reforms to entitlement programs.
A news release from Boehner's office said Rubio would deliver the address in both English and Spanish.
- Film about man's crusade against child sex...
- Creeping landslide devouring part of Jackson,...
- Photo gallery: Celebrating Easter across the...
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew...
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Some countries get Obama, but want his wife, too
- Jelly beans, chocolate and plastic eggs:...
- Get married, stay married? No fault divorce...
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 28
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23
- Police: Student ate more pot than... 19
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who... 16
- Supreme Court weighs ban on false... 15
- Get married, stay married? No fault... 14