Sen. Marco Rubio to deliver GOP State of Union response in English, Spanish
WASHINGTON — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will deliver the Republican response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday.
House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky announced the selection of Rubio on Wednesday, calling him a strong advocate of conservative principles.
The 41-year-old Rubio was given a prominent speaking role at last year's Republican National Convention and has been touted as a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
The Cuban-American lawmaker has played a leading role among Republicans in seeking immigration reform, one of the year's top legislative priorities for both parties.
On the economy, he has said tax increases will not bring down the nation's $16 trillion debt and urged policies to promote economic growth and reforms to entitlement programs.
A news release from Boehner's office said Rubio would deliver the address in both English and Spanish.
- 50 things about 'The Sound of Music' to help...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- 11 Seussian quotations to celebrate Dr....
- What to expect from Costco's new deal with...
- 34 of the best Lemony Snicket quotes
- Kerry tries to dampen fuss over Israeli PM's...
- 17 years later, parents find kidnapped...
- Can you name your U.S. Representative? See...
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan 27
- FCC approves 'net neutrality' rules for... 26
- Congress OKs 1-week bill to keep... 24
- Democrats caught between Obama,... 16
- Kerry tries to dampen fuss over Israeli... 16
- Calling for cooperation, Obama engages... 15
- Bill O'Reilly's partisan critics... 14
- 'Jihadi John' seen in beheading videos... 13