Sen. Marco Rubio to deliver GOP State of Union response in English, Spanish
WASHINGTON — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will deliver the Republican response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday.
House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky announced the selection of Rubio on Wednesday, calling him a strong advocate of conservative principles.
The 41-year-old Rubio was given a prominent speaking role at last year's Republican National Convention and has been touted as a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
The Cuban-American lawmaker has played a leading role among Republicans in seeking immigration reform, one of the year's top legislative priorities for both parties.
On the economy, he has said tax increases will not bring down the nation's $16 trillion debt and urged policies to promote economic growth and reforms to entitlement programs.
A news release from Boehner's office said Rubio would deliver the address in both English and Spanish.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Obama goal of Gitmo closure stalled at Pentagon
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 14
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 13
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7