Sen. Marco Rubio to deliver GOP State of Union response in English, Spanish
WASHINGTON — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will deliver the Republican response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday.
House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky announced the selection of Rubio on Wednesday, calling him a strong advocate of conservative principles.
The 41-year-old Rubio was given a prominent speaking role at last year's Republican National Convention and has been touted as a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
The Cuban-American lawmaker has played a leading role among Republicans in seeking immigration reform, one of the year's top legislative priorities for both parties.
On the economy, he has said tax increases will not bring down the nation's $16 trillion debt and urged policies to promote economic growth and reforms to entitlement programs.
A news release from Boehner's office said Rubio would deliver the address in both English and Spanish.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Judge rules against Donald Sterling, OKs...
- Navajo Generating Station, West's largest...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 31
- Federal land managers criticized over... 25
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Ted Cruz demands answers on FAA flight... 16
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13