Sen. Marco Rubio to deliver GOP State of Union response in English, Spanish
WASHINGTON — Florida Sen. Marco Rubio will deliver the Republican response to President Barack Obama's State of the Union address on Tuesday.
House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky announced the selection of Rubio on Wednesday, calling him a strong advocate of conservative principles.
The 41-year-old Rubio was given a prominent speaking role at last year's Republican National Convention and has been touted as a potential presidential candidate in 2016.
The Cuban-American lawmaker has played a leading role among Republicans in seeking immigration reform, one of the year's top legislative priorities for both parties.
On the economy, he has said tax increases will not bring down the nation's $16 trillion debt and urged policies to promote economic growth and reforms to entitlement programs.
A news release from Boehner's office said Rubio would deliver the address in both English and Spanish.
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The Interview'...
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school leaves 141...
- School lunch 'blech' factor may go down under...
- Ex-Marine wanted in 6 killings committed suicide
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic...
- Camille Cosby defends husband as 'kind,...
- Republican wins Arizona seat after recount;...
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named to AP...
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 28
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 23
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 10
- Senate averts shutdown fears; Democrats... 9
- Pope Francis didn't OK pets in heaven,... 8
- CIA lied about torture, Senate report... 6