Our take: Congress may have dodged a bullet in January with its last-minute decision to postpone a sequestration until March 1. But according to Jonathan Last, in a column for the Wall Street Journal, there is a far bigger problem facing America. "Forget the debt ceiling. ... The root cause of most of our problems is our declining fertility rate," Last said. In part, Last is commenting about a growing demographic change that is happening and has been happening for years worldwide: Singles, now aging into their middle years, are not forming families.
A recent piece in the Deseret news, "Single for life? The social costs of fewer families," also highlighted some social costs associated with this trend.
For more than three decades, Chinese women have been subjected to their country's brutal one-child policy. Those who try to have more children have been subjected to fines and forced abortions. Their houses have been razed and their husbands fired from their jobs. As a result, Chinese women have a fertility rate of 1.54. Here in America, white, college-educated womena good proxy for the middle classhave a fertility rate of 1.6. America has its very own one-child policy. And we have chosen it for ourselves.
Forget the debt ceiling. Forget the fiscal cliff, the sequestration cliff and the entitlement cliff. Those are all just symptoms. What America really faces is a demographic cliff: The root cause of most of our problems is our declining fertility rate.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Michael Gerson: State of Israel: History...
- Letter: Society puzzles
- Equality in family life does not mean sameness
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 82
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 33
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 29