SANTA CLARA, Calif. — A steal by Keilani Unga ended a last-minute Bronco comeback attempt, helping the BYU women's basketball team shut down Santa Clara 65-48 on the road Saturday afternoon.
BYU improves to 15-6 on the season and 6-2 in West Coast Conference play, good for second place in the league. Santa Clara falls to 12-10 and 4-5 in conference.
"Santa Clara is one of those teams that is in the top five in the league," BYU head coach Jeff Judkins said. "It's hard to beat them here. We needed to win a road game with tough competition, and that's what we got tonight."
Haley Steed led all scorers with 17 points while also contributing six assists and four steals. Unga put up 13 points and led the team with seven rebounds.
Steed threw down two deep 3-pointers and a field goal during a 10-2 Cougar run to start the game. Steed hit a second jumper with 13:18 on the clock to bring her points total to 10 and BYU's lead to 12-6.
UTAH STATE 67, SEATTLE 62: At Logan, the Aggies (12-10, 9-2) captured sole possession of first place in the WAC with a scrappy win. The win was the Aggies' sixth straight. Senior guard Devyn Christensen led all scorers with 28 points to go along with four steals. Christensen is just nine points away from breaking the Utah State scoring record.
SACRAMENTO STATE 93, SOUTHERN UTAH 86: At Sacramento, Calif., SUU's Carli Moreland recorded her third double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds while Tayler Anderson scored a career-high 16 in the high-scoring game.
NORTHERN COLORADO 65, WEBER STATE 47: At Ogden, a late 20-1 Northern Colorado run boosted the Bears past the winless Wildcats. Jalen Carpenter finished with 14 points.
UTAH VALLEY 75, HOUSTON BAPTIST 71: At Houston, playing without the Sammie Jensen, Tina Doughty and Kaycee Mansfield stepped up. Doughty scored a career-high 30 points and Mansfield added her fourth double-double of the year.
WESTMINSTER 75, LEWIS-CLARK STATE 40: At Salt Lake City, Nicole Yazzie led the Griffins (21-2, 10-0) with 21 points. Cydney Tibbitts narrowly missed a triple-double. Tibbitts scored eight points with 12 rebounds, eight steals and five assists.
SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE 69, USU-EASTERN 44: At Taylorsville, SLCC's Rachel Morris scored 16 points and Bella Swan turned in a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.
- BYU football hosts 'Friday Night Lights'...
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date with...
- Utah football: Booker's return lifts offense,...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Brad Rock: Utes have Duked it out with big...
- Photo gallery: BYU players perform for NFL...
- NCAA 'service work' has been eye-opening for...
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 26
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 21
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21