Our politicians pass laws for gun-free school zones. They issue press releases bragging about protecting our children. And in so doing, they tell every insane killer that our schools are a safe place to inflict maximum damage with minimum risk.
We care about our money so we protect our banks with armed guards. Airports, courthouses and power plants are protected with armed security. We protect our president with armed Secret Service agents. We protect our important government officials with armed guards.
There are millions of qualified active and retired police, retired military and security professionals in our country that could have a role in protecting every school.
This is the time to take decisive action in protecting our most precious asset: our children.
Darrell K. Paskett
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: How Utah...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 45
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 41
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 37
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common... 31