Brad Rock: Kyle Whittingham hoping to capitalize on the Utes' Super Bowl exposure
Who indeed — except all those bowl-happy 49ers fans.
Whittingham considered joining those fans at this year's Super Bowl. Not only would he have seen the aforementioned players; he would have been back in New Orleans, where he played for the USFL's Breakers. He returned with the Utes for the 2009 Sugar Bowl, where they fashioned a convincing win over Alabama.
Alas, Letter of Intent week got in the way of a nostalgic reunion.
Still, having players in Sunday's game has an appeal of its own. Also playing will be All-Pro Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, a former University of Oregon star. Ngata spends the off-seasons in Salt Lake and works out at the University of Utah.
"He's our adopted Ute," Whittingham said.
The natural born Utes can take it from there.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36