Ontario, Calif. — The Ontario Reign defeated the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout Friday night in Ontario as Utah battled back from 4-1 and 5-2 deficits to tie the contest at 5 with 9:16 left in the third period.
The Grizzlies go to 2-1-0-1 on their current seven-game road trip with their third come-from-behind effort in eight days.
Trailing 5-2 with just over five minutes left in the second period, Utah got back-to-back goals from Colin Vock in a 2:02 stretch to make it 5-4 going to the third period.
In the third, Utah picked up an Ontario turnover and Nick Tuzzolino fed Bryan Cameron in the left circle as he buried a puck into the open net.
Utah dug themselves an early hole, falling behind 2-0 in the first 12:17 of the first period and seeing the score 3-1 Ontario at the first intermission as the Reign took advantage of several Utah giveaways.
The Reign made it 4-1 2:38 into the second period off of another Utah turnover as Shane Owen replaced Andrew Engelage in goal after the rocky start in front of him.
Berkley Scott hammered in a puck on his own rebound 58 seconds later to make it 4-2.
Utah leading scorer Mitch Wahl led the Grizzlies with three assists and a plus-two. Nick Tuzzolino had two assists for his third two-assist game in the last week since rejoining Utah from the AHL.
Utah and Ontario continue their series tonight at 7 p.m. from California.
The Grizzlies are back home Friday, February 9 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, February 10 at 4 p.m. to host Idaho.
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- Several early season game times set for Utah,...
- Brad Rock: Haws family has worldview on...
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes in on...
- Morning links: Are Aussies the NBA's secret...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 124
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 38
- Several early season game times set for... 31
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: Larry Krystkowiak chimes... 17
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out... 13