Ontario, Calif. — The Ontario Reign defeated the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout Friday night in Ontario as Utah battled back from 4-1 and 5-2 deficits to tie the contest at 5 with 9:16 left in the third period.
The Grizzlies go to 2-1-0-1 on their current seven-game road trip with their third come-from-behind effort in eight days.
Trailing 5-2 with just over five minutes left in the second period, Utah got back-to-back goals from Colin Vock in a 2:02 stretch to make it 5-4 going to the third period.
In the third, Utah picked up an Ontario turnover and Nick Tuzzolino fed Bryan Cameron in the left circle as he buried a puck into the open net.
Utah dug themselves an early hole, falling behind 2-0 in the first 12:17 of the first period and seeing the score 3-1 Ontario at the first intermission as the Reign took advantage of several Utah giveaways.
The Reign made it 4-1 2:38 into the second period off of another Utah turnover as Shane Owen replaced Andrew Engelage in goal after the rocky start in front of him.
Berkley Scott hammered in a puck on his own rebound 58 seconds later to make it 4-2.
Utah leading scorer Mitch Wahl led the Grizzlies with three assists and a plus-two. Nick Tuzzolino had two assists for his third two-assist game in the last week since rejoining Utah from the AHL.
Utah and Ontario continue their series tonight at 7 p.m. from California.
The Grizzlies are back home Friday, February 9 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, February 10 at 4 p.m. to host Idaho.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Utah Jazz: Latest acquisition Booker aims to...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 92
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 76
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 41
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 27
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26