Ontario, Calif. — The Ontario Reign defeated the Utah Grizzlies 6-5 in a shootout Friday night in Ontario as Utah battled back from 4-1 and 5-2 deficits to tie the contest at 5 with 9:16 left in the third period.
The Grizzlies go to 2-1-0-1 on their current seven-game road trip with their third come-from-behind effort in eight days.
Trailing 5-2 with just over five minutes left in the second period, Utah got back-to-back goals from Colin Vock in a 2:02 stretch to make it 5-4 going to the third period.
In the third, Utah picked up an Ontario turnover and Nick Tuzzolino fed Bryan Cameron in the left circle as he buried a puck into the open net.
Utah dug themselves an early hole, falling behind 2-0 in the first 12:17 of the first period and seeing the score 3-1 Ontario at the first intermission as the Reign took advantage of several Utah giveaways.
The Reign made it 4-1 2:38 into the second period off of another Utah turnover as Shane Owen replaced Andrew Engelage in goal after the rocky start in front of him.
Berkley Scott hammered in a puck on his own rebound 58 seconds later to make it 4-2.
Utah leading scorer Mitch Wahl led the Grizzlies with three assists and a plus-two. Nick Tuzzolino had two assists for his third two-assist game in the last week since rejoining Utah from the AHL.
Utah and Ontario continue their series tonight at 7 p.m. from California.
The Grizzlies are back home Friday, February 9 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, February 10 at 4 p.m. to host Idaho.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25