BEIJING — An elevated portion of highway in central China collapsed on Friday after a truck loaded with fireworks for Lunar New Year celebrations exploded, killing at least nine people and sending vehicles plummeting about 100 feet to the ground.
The official Xinhua News Agency said nine people were confirmed dead and 13 injured, including four in serious condition. It said the collapse smashed and buried at least 25 vehicles.
Earlier reports by China National Radio and some other outlets of 26 people killed were later removed from websites, without explanation.
A 260-foot stretch of the major east-west highway collapsed in Mianchi county in Henan province. It scattered blackened chunks of debris and shattered the windows of a nearby truck stop.
A truck driver interviewed on CCTV said he was only 20 yards from the explosion.
"I heard a huge bang and immediately braked. I saw small fireballs falling down one by one," said the unidentified truck driver, whose truck windshield was smashed from the impact of the blast.
"I then heard the sounds of clanking and exploding for five to six minutes," the driver said. "My face was covered in dust."
Photos posted online by Xinhua showed a stretch of elevated highway gone, with one truck's back wheels perched at the edge of a shorn-off section of the highway.
— Associated Press
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- US trained Alaskans as secret 'stay-behind...
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 16
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 11