BEIJING — An elevated portion of highway in central China collapsed on Friday after a truck loaded with fireworks for Lunar New Year celebrations exploded, killing at least nine people and sending vehicles plummeting about 100 feet to the ground.
The official Xinhua News Agency said nine people were confirmed dead and 13 injured, including four in serious condition. It said the collapse smashed and buried at least 25 vehicles.
Earlier reports by China National Radio and some other outlets of 26 people killed were later removed from websites, without explanation.
A 260-foot stretch of the major east-west highway collapsed in Mianchi county in Henan province. It scattered blackened chunks of debris and shattered the windows of a nearby truck stop.
A truck driver interviewed on CCTV said he was only 20 yards from the explosion.
"I heard a huge bang and immediately braked. I saw small fireballs falling down one by one," said the unidentified truck driver, whose truck windshield was smashed from the impact of the blast.
"I then heard the sounds of clanking and exploding for five to six minutes," the driver said. "My face was covered in dust."
Photos posted online by Xinhua showed a stretch of elevated highway gone, with one truck's back wheels perched at the edge of a shorn-off section of the highway.
— Associated Press
- Over 100 missing, 14 dead as strong quake...
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Search for possible survivors of midair crash...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9...
- Lindsey Vonn wins women's World Cup downhill
- Pope's sex abuse panel tells survivor to take...
- Police think 6 Chicago deaths result of...
- Rubio faces barrage of attacks in Republican...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 28
- Cruz tops Trump in Iowa; Clinton,... 22
- Obama pushes for every child to learn... 21
- Cruz, Rubio eye NH momentum as Dems... 15
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Americans are packing classes in how to... 12
- Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul quits 2016 GOP... 12
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 10