BEIJING — An elevated portion of highway in central China collapsed on Friday after a truck loaded with fireworks for Lunar New Year celebrations exploded, killing at least nine people and sending vehicles plummeting about 100 feet to the ground.
The official Xinhua News Agency said nine people were confirmed dead and 13 injured, including four in serious condition. It said the collapse smashed and buried at least 25 vehicles.
Earlier reports by China National Radio and some other outlets of 26 people killed were later removed from websites, without explanation.
A 260-foot stretch of the major east-west highway collapsed in Mianchi county in Henan province. It scattered blackened chunks of debris and shattered the windows of a nearby truck stop.
A truck driver interviewed on CCTV said he was only 20 yards from the explosion.
"I heard a huge bang and immediately braked. I saw small fireballs falling down one by one," said the unidentified truck driver, whose truck windshield was smashed from the impact of the blast.
"I then heard the sounds of clanking and exploding for five to six minutes," the driver said. "My face was covered in dust."
Photos posted online by Xinhua showed a stretch of elevated highway gone, with one truck's back wheels perched at the edge of a shorn-off section of the highway.
— Associated Press
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 8
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 5