BEIJING — An elevated portion of highway in central China collapsed on Friday after a truck loaded with fireworks for Lunar New Year celebrations exploded, killing at least nine people and sending vehicles plummeting about 100 feet to the ground.
The official Xinhua News Agency said nine people were confirmed dead and 13 injured, including four in serious condition. It said the collapse smashed and buried at least 25 vehicles.
Earlier reports by China National Radio and some other outlets of 26 people killed were later removed from websites, without explanation.
A 260-foot stretch of the major east-west highway collapsed in Mianchi county in Henan province. It scattered blackened chunks of debris and shattered the windows of a nearby truck stop.
A truck driver interviewed on CCTV said he was only 20 yards from the explosion.
"I heard a huge bang and immediately braked. I saw small fireballs falling down one by one," said the unidentified truck driver, whose truck windshield was smashed from the impact of the blast.
"I then heard the sounds of clanking and exploding for five to six minutes," the driver said. "My face was covered in dust."
Photos posted online by Xinhua showed a stretch of elevated highway gone, with one truck's back wheels perched at the edge of a shorn-off section of the highway.
— Associated Press
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot...
- Woman reported kidnapped found safe after...
- Royals, actor Benedict Cumberbatch help bury...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood at...
- 'Downton Abbey' to end after upcoming 6th season
- Report: Teen says mom killed her siblings...
- Putin says Russia will stand firm in standoff...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 50
- Texas Sen. Ted Cruz targets... 44
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 36
- Lion poaching case along Utah-Colorado... 35
- On 5th anniversary of health care law,... 32
- Alone at controls, Germanwings co-pilot... 26
- Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz to... 19
- Sen. Mike Lee not ready to endorse Ted... 18