Our take: It's been an unusual second half of the NFL season for former Utah quarterback Alex Smith, who lost his starting job with the San Francisco 49ers, yet his team is playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday. For Smith, who will back up new 49ers starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick in Super Bowl XLVII against Baltimore, the conversation has already swung toward where he will be playing next season. A report from NFL.com says Smith, the first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, could be headed to Kansas City and its new head coach Andy Reid, a former BYU offensive lineman.
Alex Smith will not be with the San Francisco 49ers next season, as NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported earlier this week. So where might he land?
Mr. RapSheet named the Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs as teams that have shown early interest. For new Chiefs coach Andy Reid, it's apparently not the first time he's shown interest in Smith.
The San Francisco Chronicle quotes ESPN's Trent Dilfer as saying Reid "really likes Alex."
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- High school football: Ben Lomond Scots 2015...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 23
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16