Our take: It's been an unusual second half of the NFL season for former Utah quarterback Alex Smith, who lost his starting job with the San Francisco 49ers, yet his team is playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday. For Smith, who will back up new 49ers starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick in Super Bowl XLVII against Baltimore, the conversation has already swung toward where he will be playing next season. A report from NFL.com says Smith, the first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, could be headed to Kansas City and its new head coach Andy Reid, a former BYU offensive lineman.
Alex Smith will not be with the San Francisco 49ers next season, as NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported earlier this week. So where might he land?
Mr. RapSheet named the Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs as teams that have shown early interest. For new Chiefs coach Andy Reid, it's apparently not the first time he's shown interest in Smith.
The San Francisco Chronicle quotes ESPN's Trent Dilfer as saying Reid "really likes Alex."
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Utah Jazz get blown out by Dallas 120-102
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32