Our take: It's been an unusual second half of the NFL season for former Utah quarterback Alex Smith, who lost his starting job with the San Francisco 49ers, yet his team is playing in the Super Bowl on Sunday. For Smith, who will back up new 49ers starting quarterback Colin Kaepernick in Super Bowl XLVII against Baltimore, the conversation has already swung toward where he will be playing next season. A report from NFL.com says Smith, the first pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, could be headed to Kansas City and its new head coach Andy Reid, a former BYU offensive lineman.
Alex Smith will not be with the San Francisco 49ers next season, as NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported earlier this week. So where might he land?
Mr. RapSheet named the Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals and Kansas City Chiefs as teams that have shown early interest. For new Chiefs coach Andy Reid, it's apparently not the first time he's shown interest in Smith.
The San Francisco Chronicle quotes ESPN's Trent Dilfer as saying Reid "really likes Alex."
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 125
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 76
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 52
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33