Our take: President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton offered high praise of each other during their "60 Minutes" interview Sunday. Jane Falk from The Washington Post analyzes their words and actions during the interview.
"Doth they protest too much? In their '60 Minutes' interview, which aired Sunday, President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton waxed poetic about their relationship: 'a great collaboration,' 'a friendship as opposed to just a professional relationship,' said Obama; 'very warm, close, a sense of understanding that sometimes doesnt even take words,' said Clinton.
"To hear their responses, the interview was a veritable love fest. But words are not the only way in which people convey meaning. Every interaction includes 'meta messages' through nonverbal behaviors such as body language. These unconscious signals may not correspond with the verbal messages. In the Clinton-Obama interview, it was clear that the two like each other and that their minds were in accord. But they also conveyed that they are not equals and the signs of intimacy that accompany close friendship were absent.
"Metalinguistics is not an exact science. But it helps us understand the meaning of such behavior. By not answering first and never disagreeing with Obama, Clinton and her posture bespoke total involvement. It's no wonder he likes her so much. Clinton projected herself as a loyal soldier and team player who didn't hold a grudge. Nothing she said or did indicated that she was her own person, which may suggest why she didn't leave her own stamp on her office. Notably, Obama did not give her sole credit for any achievement, always mentioning the team. Absent were kudos to her as a leader."
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Looking to win a battle in the 16th century?...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 22
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 20
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 10
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10