Gasoline prices jump early
Rising crude costs, slowing output, low supply to blame
NEW YORK — Gasoline prices are getting an early start on their annual spring march higher.
The average U.S. retail price rose 13 cents over the past two weeks to $3.42 per gallon, and within a few days it will likely set a record for this time of year.
The culprits are rising crude oil prices, slowing output at refineries that are undergoing maintenance and low supplies of gasoline.
These are the kinds of things that push gasoline prices higher every spring after what is normally a lull in gasoline prices in the late fall and early winter. But a heavy schedule of January maintenance at West Coast refineries has led to sharply higher prices there. Meanwhile, low inventories have pushed prices higher on the East Coast.
And rising crude oil prices have pushed prices higher throughout the country.
"I'm not surprised at what I'm seeing, but I am surprised it's coming early," said Tom Kloza, Chief Oil Analyst at the Oil Price Information Service.
Hopes of stronger economic growth in the U.S. and abroad helped push the U.S. stock market to a five-year high in January and sent crude prices up. When economies expand, more gasoline, diesel and jet fuel are consumed by shippers and travelers.
Crude oil has risen 14 percent since mid-December, to $97.49 on Thursday. Brent crude, the benchmark used to price oil that most U.S. refineries use to make gasoline, is up 9 percent since then to $115.55.
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget together
- 1 number you should check each year to avoid...
- Michelle Singletary: How, and how much, to...
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring...
- Chobani founder and CEO Hamdi Ulukaya pledges...
- More jobs are available, but new grads are...
- Derek B. Miller: Politics may end up... 17
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- How strict should parents really be? 5
- More jobs are available, but new grads... 5
- Media CEOs are the highest-paid... 3
- Balancing act: Does parenting bring... 1
- Americans are very unsure about their... 1