NEW YORK — Research In Motion Ltd. unveiled new, versatile BlackBerrys after excruciating delays allowed Apple, Samsung and others to build commanding leads in an industry that is redefining society. But the first phone won't come out in the United States until March, and one with a physical keyboard will take at least a month longer.
The stock fell 12 percent after Wednesday's kickoff, despite mostly positive reviews about the new BlackBerry 10 operating system. There's concern the phone isn't coming out sooner, and there's worry BlackBerry 10's advances won't be enough to turn the company around.
In a move underscoring the stakes riding on its make-or-break product lineup, RIM used the occasion to announce that it is changing the company's name to BlackBerry. It's a pioneering brand that lost its cachet not long after Apple's 2007 release of the iPhone, which reset expectations for what a smartphone should do.
Pioneered in 1999, BlackBerry became a game-changing breakthrough in personal connectedness. It changed the culture by allowing on-the-go business people to access wireless email.
As the BlackBerry began to cross over to consumers, rivals came out with a new generation of phones that could do more than just email and messaging, starting with the iPhone and followed by devices running Google's Android system. Suddenly, the BlackBerry looked ancient.
- Salt Lake chef wins round in 'Holiday Baking...
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco chicken...
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic Con...
- 5 ways you drive away millennial employees
- Dave Ramsey says: Include minor car repairs...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Mark Zuckerberg is taking two months...
- Man killed in Salt Lake industrial accident
- 5 ways you drive away millennial employees 14
- Former Eagle Gate College instructor... 10
- Pfizer, Allergan $160B deal forms... 6
- Utah liquor commission going slow on... 4
- Russian military says its bombing... 3
- Confusion over ISIS name leads to... 2
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.6... 1
- Balancing act: Pause, reflect on... 1