Ravell Call, Ravell Call, Deseret News
In yet another example of ridiculous laws that don't solve anything, Davis High school was fined $15,000 last year for selling carbonated drinks and candy during lunch hour — unlawful for schools involved in the federal school lunch program ("Soda machine ban means good business for 3 Davis High students" Jan. 21). So the school removed their soft drink machines.
No matter — a few enterprising students now sit just outside school grounds during lunch and sell pop themselves. Now the lunch crowd just steps outside for a moment, buys pop from these entrepreneurs, then goes back in the school cafeteria to drink it. Problem solved.
This is exactly why new restrictive gun laws won't work either.
- Letter: Moral decline 87
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 81
- Ralph Hancock: Society cannot... 65
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 55
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 40