I think that everybody should be able to bear arms. It should be unconstitutional to ban guns. We need to be able to protect ourselves from tyranny. The Second Amendment says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Assault rifles help protect us. The government has no right to take away our guns, even if they are assault rifles. If nobody had guns, how would we protect ourselves? The government would be able to do anything it wanted. Terrorists could attack us — we wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
Matt Erickson, Scout Troop 1340
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an assault on...
- In our opinion: Utah's caucus system needs...
- Michael Gerson: Common Core standards are not...
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- Letters: Dismantle IRS
- Letters: No welfare, ever 77
- Letters: Move to the center 37
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 33
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 30
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 28
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 27
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21