I think that everybody should be able to bear arms. It should be unconstitutional to ban guns. We need to be able to protect ourselves from tyranny. The Second Amendment says, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Assault rifles help protect us. The government has no right to take away our guns, even if they are assault rifles. If nobody had guns, how would we protect ourselves? The government would be able to do anything it wanted. Terrorists could attack us — we wouldn't be able to do anything about it.
Matt Erickson, Scout Troop 1340
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- My view: Marriage and social justice go... 98
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 86
- In our opinion: Religious freedom... 52
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 50
- Letter: Gun control 50
- Letter: Obama fans? 43
- Faith, family and freedom join to... 25