Our take: The question of when a child should receive a cell phone is a topic every parent deals with, including Bill Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have decided their kids can have a phone at age 13. A recent article in TODAY News by Eun Kyung Kim, talks about Gates' cell phone rule and some of his foundation's biggest goals for 2013.
Bill Gates, one of the world's richest men, faces the same problems at home that all parents do like dealing with cell phone privileges.
Weve chosen in our family that its 13 where you get a phone. And youre still a little bit limited, Gates, the father of three children, including two teenagers, said Wednesday on TODAY. Theyre always coming home, All the other kids have it. Im the only one without it, its so embarrassing.
The admission brought some relief to Matt Lauer. "You just bought me two years, you realize that, right? he said.
Lauer then asked whether he keeps the passwords to his childrens electronic accounts. Gates said he doesnt at least for his 16-year-old daughter.
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a threat to...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Catholic leaders' deliberations over divorce...
- Here's why church choirs are dying
- Child poverty just dropped for the first time...
- School police stock up on free military gear
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 69
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 15
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 14
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 12
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7