Our take: The question of when a child should receive a cell phone is a topic every parent deals with, including Bill Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have decided their kids can have a phone at age 13. A recent article in TODAY News by Eun Kyung Kim, talks about Gates' cell phone rule and some of his foundation's biggest goals for 2013.
Bill Gates, one of the world's richest men, faces the same problems at home that all parents do like dealing with cell phone privileges.
Weve chosen in our family that its 13 where you get a phone. And youre still a little bit limited, Gates, the father of three children, including two teenagers, said Wednesday on TODAY. Theyre always coming home, All the other kids have it. Im the only one without it, its so embarrassing.
The admission brought some relief to Matt Lauer. "You just bought me two years, you realize that, right? he said.
Lauer then asked whether he keeps the passwords to his childrens electronic accounts. Gates said he doesnt at least for his 16-year-old daughter.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Navajo Generating Station, West's largest...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10