Our take: The question of when a child should receive a cell phone is a topic every parent deals with, including Bill Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have decided their kids can have a phone at age 13. A recent article in TODAY News by Eun Kyung Kim, talks about Gates' cell phone rule and some of his foundation's biggest goals for 2013.
Bill Gates, one of the world's richest men, faces the same problems at home that all parents do like dealing with cell phone privileges.
Weve chosen in our family that its 13 where you get a phone. And youre still a little bit limited, Gates, the father of three children, including two teenagers, said Wednesday on TODAY. Theyre always coming home, All the other kids have it. Im the only one without it, its so embarrassing.
The admission brought some relief to Matt Lauer. "You just bought me two years, you realize that, right? he said.
Lauer then asked whether he keeps the passwords to his childrens electronic accounts. Gates said he doesnt at least for his 16-year-old daughter.
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- Reports: Ferguson grand jury has reached...
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell' in 2016
- Evacuation plans readied as Buffalo flooding...
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- Buffalo residents ready melt, possible...
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 40
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 25
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 17
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14