Our take: The question of when a child should receive a cell phone is a topic every parent deals with, including Bill Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have decided their kids can have a phone at age 13. A recent article in TODAY News by Eun Kyung Kim, talks about Gates' cell phone rule and some of his foundation's biggest goals for 2013.
Bill Gates, one of the world's richest men, faces the same problems at home that all parents do like dealing with cell phone privileges.
Weve chosen in our family that its 13 where you get a phone. And youre still a little bit limited, Gates, the father of three children, including two teenagers, said Wednesday on TODAY. Theyre always coming home, All the other kids have it. Im the only one without it, its so embarrassing.
The admission brought some relief to Matt Lauer. "You just bought me two years, you realize that, right? he said.
Lauer then asked whether he keeps the passwords to his childrens electronic accounts. Gates said he doesnt at least for his 16-year-old daughter.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- New dynasty: Giants capture 3rd title in 5 years
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US criticism
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Maine in standoff with nurse over Ebola...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 62
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 37
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 30
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 20
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Israeli leader lashes back at harsh US... 13