Our take: The question of when a child should receive a cell phone is a topic every parent deals with, including Bill Gates. He and his wife, Melinda, have decided their kids can have a phone at age 13. A recent article in TODAY News by Eun Kyung Kim, talks about Gates' cell phone rule and some of his foundation's biggest goals for 2013.
Bill Gates, one of the world's richest men, faces the same problems at home that all parents do like dealing with cell phone privileges.
Weve chosen in our family that its 13 where you get a phone. And youre still a little bit limited, Gates, the father of three children, including two teenagers, said Wednesday on TODAY. Theyre always coming home, All the other kids have it. Im the only one without it, its so embarrassing.
The admission brought some relief to Matt Lauer. "You just bought me two years, you realize that, right? he said.
Lauer then asked whether he keeps the passwords to his childrens electronic accounts. Gates said he doesnt at least for his 16-year-old daughter.
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias...
- Witnesses at Utah trial: No security-camera...
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit against Obama
- Ginsburg: High court won't 'duck' gay marriage
- Probe exposes flaws behind HealthCare.gov...
- The rise of social entrepreneurship: How...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 52
- Obama to GOP: 'Stop just hating all the... 46
- GOP-led House ready to OK lawsuit... 36
- GOP: Lois Lerner's IRS emails show bias... 28
- Most Americans believe the U.S. should... 27
- House leaders abandon border bill 18
- GOP-led House approves lawsuit against... 14
- Democrats have million-dollar day on... 13