Centre Daily Times, Abby Drey, Associated Press
HARRISBURG, Pa. — Jerry Sandusky lost a bid for a new trial Wednesday when a judge rejected his argument that his lawyers were not given enough time to prepare for the three-week proceeding that ended with a 45-count guilty verdict.
Judge John Cleland's 27-page order said lawyers for the former Penn State assistant football coach conceded that their post-trial review turned up no material that would have changed their trial strategy.
"I do not think it can be said that either of the defendant's trial counsel failed to test the prosecution's case in a meaningful manner," Cleland wrote. "The defendant's attorneys subjected the commonwealth's witnesses to meaningful and effective cross-examination, presented evidence for the defense and presented both a comprehensive opening statement and a clearly developed closing argument."
He also rejected post-sentencing motions regarding jury instructions, hearsay testimony and other matters.
Sandusky is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence for sexual abuse of 10 boys. He has maintained his innocence and vowed to appeal.
Sandusky lawyer Norris Gelman said Wednesday that while he had not read the decision, Cleland's ruling means the defense will appeal to mid-level Superior Court within the next 30 days.
The state attorney general's office, which prosecuted Sandusky, offered no immediate comment.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve gay...
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Utah remembers Pearl Harbor namesake ship,...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 106
- Judge orders Colo. cake-maker to serve... 52
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 39
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 31
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 30
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21