Centre Daily Times, Abby Drey, Associated Press
HARRISBURG, Pa. — Jerry Sandusky lost a bid for a new trial Wednesday when a judge rejected his argument that his lawyers were not given enough time to prepare for the three-week proceeding that ended with a 45-count guilty verdict.
Judge John Cleland's 27-page order said lawyers for the former Penn State assistant football coach conceded that their post-trial review turned up no material that would have changed their trial strategy.
"I do not think it can be said that either of the defendant's trial counsel failed to test the prosecution's case in a meaningful manner," Cleland wrote. "The defendant's attorneys subjected the commonwealth's witnesses to meaningful and effective cross-examination, presented evidence for the defense and presented both a comprehensive opening statement and a clearly developed closing argument."
He also rejected post-sentencing motions regarding jury instructions, hearsay testimony and other matters.
Sandusky is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence for sexual abuse of 10 boys. He has maintained his innocence and vowed to appeal.
Sandusky lawyer Norris Gelman said Wednesday that while he had not read the decision, Cleland's ruling means the defense will appeal to mid-level Superior Court within the next 30 days.
The state attorney general's office, which prosecuted Sandusky, offered no immediate comment.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Luck, instinct determined fates of volcano...
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be stopped,...
- Olympian Michael Phelps arrested on DUI charge
- Officials confirm first Ebola case diagnosed...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 24
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 11
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7