Guarding against airline pilot fatigue, the Federal Aviation Administration set new rules under LaHood's watch that would limit the maximum time a pilot can be scheduled on duty and place limits on scheduled flying time and hours for pilots flying overnight. The action was prompted by a deadly plane crash near Buffalo, N.Y., that raised concerns about pilot fatigue.
LaHood also has taken on major transportation companies during his tenure, slapping Toyota Motor Co. with record fines for delaying safety recalls and failing to promptly report problems to federal regulators.
He recently ordered United Airlines to ground its Boeing 787 Dreamliner following mishaps with the aircraft's batteries. The FAA is investigating the cause of the problems to the Dreamliner, which uses lithium ion batteries and is the world's first airliner whose structure is made mostly from lightweight composite materials.
Perhaps LaHood's most passionate work has involved distracted driving, which he has called a "national epidemic." He has launched a national media campaign to end texting and cellphone use by drivers, an awareness campaign that has drawn comparisons to efforts to promote seat belt use more than a generation ago.
The grandfather of 10, LaHood has often emphasized the toll that deaths and injuries from distracted driving can inflict on families.
"Safety will be something that people will remember us for in all modes of transportation," LaHood said.
Follow Ken Thomas at: http://twitter.com/AP_Ken_Thomas
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal, Obama's...
- Navy dolphins discover rare 19th-century torpedo
- A look at why the Benghazi issue keeps coming...
- IRS probe ignored most influential groups on...
- Tea party looks to take advantage of moment
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 60
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12
- President Obama walking a familiar path... 11
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 10
- Suicide up among middle-aged Americans,... 10