High school players of the week: Brandon Miller, Jessica Richardson earn POW honors
BRANDON MILLER, Brighton, basketball: The Bengals rolled to a pair of victories over Copper Hills and West Jordan last week thanks in large part to the outstanding week by this University of Utah commit.
On Tuesday Miller set a new career high with 39 points and drained a whopping 10 3-pointers. On Friday the senior was nearly as impressive, finishing with 27 points and six 3-pointers.
Brighton is 14-4 this season and a perfect 5-0 at the midway point of Region 3 play. Miller has been the catalyst to the success as he leads the team in scoring at 19.7 ppg and 53 total 3-pointers.
Miller was a Deseret News first-team all-stater last year after leading the Bengals to a runner-up finish in the 5A state tournament.
JESSICA RICHARDSON, Davis High, basketball: It isn't just Jessica Richardson's basketball skills that make her an invaluable part of the fifth-ranked Davis Darts' basketball program. It's her leadership ability.
"She's a great, great athlete, and she's worked really hard on perfecting her game offensively and defensively," said Davis head coach Anne Jones. "She's a great kid to coach; she's a captain, and the rest of the players really look to her as a leader."
And for good reason. The honor student has worked hard to make herself the team's leader offensively and defensively.
"She is just flat-out a great athlete," said Jones. "She can run the floor, she jumps extremely well. … She just holds down the middle for us. When she's on the floor, we're a much better team."
Richardson is also a varsity volleyball player and won the state title in the discus last track season.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 26