High school girls basketball: Alta hoops star Chloe Ferre finds blessings in a broken dream
"It has strengthened me so much in so many areas of my life," she said blushing because it is not her nature to share such intimate details with a stranger. "It's really strengthened me spiritually. I've really had to rely on prayer. And my dad gives me (LDS) blessings. It has changed my life for the better. So I'm not sure I'd give it back."
Ferre said her symptoms tested her faith in ways she never expected. A member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, she recounts the Hawks' opening-round playoff game against Davis last season.
"The night before I had a really bad flare-up," she said. "Usually they last for four or five days."
She asked her father for a blessing, and not only was she able to play the next day, but she led the Hawks' offense with 24 points.
"Multiple things like that have happened," she said.
Her mom said her performance was more than a blessing. "It was a miracle," she said. "And it's a miracle that she's able to play right now, at this moment."
Aimee Ferre said she's watched her daughter grow in her LDS faith, even writing scriptures on her arms before each game.
"She won't ever let us read them," said Aimee, adding that there have been other blessings, including the help of a teammate's father who is helping her mitigate the symptoms with nutritional changes, including the elimination of dairy. "She does so much of it privately."
Chloe isn't the only one who had to adjust her expectations after the diagnosis. It has been agonizing for her parents to watch their formerly active, healthy daughter suffer on the sidelines with pain or breathing issues.
"We had dreams of scholarships for her," said Aimee Ferre. "We don't know what's going to happen with Chloe. She's just not a normal kid."
Chloe is also very private, even reluctant to discuss her suffering.
"She doesn't want special treatment," said her mom. "She doesn't want anyone to think she's making excuses."
The future may be uncertain for Chloe, but both she and her parents are grateful for the miracle they enjoy today.
"I do appreciate every time she plays," said Aimee. "It has changed so much of our perspective."
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind this...
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron productive for...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron... 2
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind... 0