Pleasant Grove mother-son finish in 19th place at 24-hour Daytona race
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. Pleasant Grove race car drivers Melanie and Madison Snow had a strong showing in the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona race last weekend.
The mother-son team combined with professional drivers Sascha Maassen, Marco Seefried and Klaus Bachler to finish 668 laps in 24 hours good enough for 19th place out of 56 teams.
"We should be ecstatic that we finished such a long, grueling race but having that competitive spirit means we wanted to do better," Melanie Snow told the Deseret News.
Three-time defending Grand-Am champions Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas, along with NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya and IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball teamed up to win the race with 709 laps.
The Snow Racing team was among the leaders until the break line failed, forcing the Wright Motorsports crew to stop and fix the issue, losing valuable time, Snow said.
Snow's son, Madison raced the final stint in the car, moving the car from 12th one spot in the GT class to finish in 11th place.
"I was so proud of him. He did a stellar job driving and never once got rattled out there," Snow said. "He stayed calm and focused the entire time."
Despite the exhaustion of a 24-hour race, Snow said her family is already talking about a plan to get a sponsorship to get them back next year.
"Madison and I are both ready to try again," she said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah State's Keeton getting Heisman hype
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 226
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 97
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 82
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 56
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 46
- ACC media days has some interesting... 44
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26