Las Vegas records highest concentration of megachurch attenders, Salt Lake City ranks one of three lowest
John Amis, ASSOCIATED PRESS
A recent poll released by Barna: Cities shows that Las Vegas, Nevada had the highest concentration of megachurch attendees, whereas Salt Lake City; Madison, Wisconsin; and Toledo, Ohio had the lowest concentration of megachurch attendees.
One of the major trends of recent decades has been the rise of the megachurchthat is, congregations that attract huge numbers of people each weekend. So how big is the megachurch audience, exactly? In our national research, Barna Group tracks the size of the churches that Americans attend. Overall, only about one in 10 self-identified Christians (10%) in America attend a church with at least 1,000 attenders. In other words, while megachurches are a much-discussed trend, the vast majority of American Christians attend smaller churches.
As part of the Barna: Cities effort, we can pinpoint Americas most and least megachurch-oriented cities. The research shows that Las Vegas, NV has the highest concentration of megachurch attenders among the Christians who reside in the market (29% of all Christians who live in the region attend a church of at least 1,000 attenders). The second-ranked market was Baton Rouge, LA (27%). Two Florida cities made the top of the list, including Tampa-St. Petersburg (21%) and Orlando (18%). Texas also contributed two cities to the rankings: Dallas, Fort Worth (19%) and Houston (19%). The New Mexico corridor of Albuquerque, Sante Fe (19%) also places in the top seven cities.
- 'Because of Him': LDS video on Christ...
- Miracles found at new temple in Florida
- First Presidency Easter Message
- Watch: Mormon Tabernacle Choir performs...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir celebrates Easter...
- The story behind the missionary reality TV...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on list...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 78
- Zeroing in on religious hubs, atheists... 77
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 76
- Ask Angela: With so few choices, should... 75
- The Book of Mormon claims No. 1 spot on... 51
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46