Las Vegas records highest concentration of megachurch attenders, Salt Lake City ranks one of three lowest
John Amis, ASSOCIATED PRESS
A recent poll released by Barna: Cities shows that Las Vegas, Nevada had the highest concentration of megachurch attendees, whereas Salt Lake City; Madison, Wisconsin; and Toledo, Ohio had the lowest concentration of megachurch attendees.
One of the major trends of recent decades has been the rise of the megachurchthat is, congregations that attract huge numbers of people each weekend. So how big is the megachurch audience, exactly? In our national research, Barna Group tracks the size of the churches that Americans attend. Overall, only about one in 10 self-identified Christians (10%) in America attend a church with at least 1,000 attenders. In other words, while megachurches are a much-discussed trend, the vast majority of American Christians attend smaller churches.
As part of the Barna: Cities effort, we can pinpoint Americas most and least megachurch-oriented cities. The research shows that Las Vegas, NV has the highest concentration of megachurch attenders among the Christians who reside in the market (29% of all Christians who live in the region attend a church of at least 1,000 attenders). The second-ranked market was Baton Rouge, LA (27%). Two Florida cities made the top of the list, including Tampa-St. Petersburg (21%) and Orlando (18%). Texas also contributed two cities to the rankings: Dallas, Fort Worth (19%) and Houston (19%). The New Mexico corridor of Albuquerque, Sante Fe (19%) also places in the top seven cities.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 51
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2