Long Beach, Miss., repays years-old favor by raising funds for Long Beach, N.Y.
Our take: The people of Long Beach, N.Y., paid it forward years ago when Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast, and the people of Long Beach, Miss., are now returning the favor in the wake of Superstorm Sandy.
"After Hurricane Katrina damaged the coast, Long Beach, N.Y., sent money and aid for Long Beach, Miss. On Saturday, Long Beach, Miss., raised money to for victims of Hurricane Sandy to return the favor.
"Organizers had just the right recipe to help people in need. They sold whole cooked chicken and BBQ pork butts to raise funds for Hurricane Sany victims in Long Beach, New York.
"Hoping to raise $8,000 with this event, Long Beach, Mississippi is just trying to provide a little relief and more than anything — encouragement.
"'Hang in there, it will all work out,' said Dolly Williamson."
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts...
- Want to help a sex trafficking victim get on...
- Chess in schools: bringing the classic mind...
- Deseret News National Edition explores...
- Japan's prime minister 'speechless' after...
- Vaccinate the economy against disease
- Possible 2016 GOP candidates pitch ideas at...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt Lake speech
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- California bars judges from Boy Scouts... 77
- Kerry: Violent extremism is not Islamic 27
- House Republicans run into divisions... 21
- Measles outbreak casts spotlight on... 20
- Analysis: Obama seizes on recovery,... 17
- Idaho has 22 breeding wolf pairs, an... 12
- Religious response to postponed... 11