So far, President Obama has filled up his second-term cabinet mostly with white men. He would pick some women, but they're all still in Mitt Romney's binders.
Meanwhile, during last week's inaugural address, someone apparently accidentally loaded the president's teleprompter with an old campaign speech given in Ohio.
President Obama's speech echoed the inaugurations of great past presidents, with only slight variations. "With malice toward none," for instance, became, "With malice toward none except those jerks who want to cut entitlements."
Later, controversy erupted when critics accused the president of having lip-synced his speech.
Last week, the government announced it was lifting the ban on women soldiers serving in combat roles. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton celebrated by lobbing grenades at Republicans in Congress.
Utahns everywhere are marking an annual event filled with drama, suspense and frequent comedic relief. No, not the Sundance Film Festival. I'm talking about the annual session of the state Legislature.
State lawmakers are licking their chops at the chance to pass bills that send a message to those scoundrels in Washington. Back in Washington, meanwhile, some low-level bureaucrat is preparing room for these messages in a warehouse near the Postal Service's dead letter collection.
In an interview with Katie Couric last week, Notre Dame football star Manti Te'o assured Americans that from now on he will date only real girls, as approved by his 6-foot rabbit friend, Harvey.
Northern Utahns learned last week that nature has a sense of humor. Why else would people look forward to relief from a relentless choking fog and then get hit with freezing rain?
I don't know whether Utah will ever host another Olympics, but during Thursday's storm I saw a sedan do a triple Salchow on the freeway.
Jay Evensen is the associate editor of the Deseret News editorial page. Follow him on Twitter @jayevensen.
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the...
- Jay Evensen: Don't let an apocalypse-free...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- Letter: A ‘cursory’ look
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 95
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 40
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21