Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own 'killer...
- In our opinion: Labor Day revisited
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more than a...
- John Hoffmire: Monied interests and democracy
- On second thought
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap? Colleges...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- About Utah: He's a fair fixture
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 48
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 46
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Letter: Society puzzles 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 28
- Americans are changing their tune on... 27
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 24