Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Dan Liljenquist: The economic impact of...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- Capitalism and the common good: Fairness,...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 79
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 47
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 38
- Capitalism and the common good:... 37
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 36