Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- My view: In the name of God?
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 63
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30