Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 109
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 35
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30