Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- In our opinion: A darkening cloud is hanging...
- My view: People deserve rights at our borders
- Richard Davis: Airlines should do more for...
- Letters: Federal encroachment
- Snapshot of 2013 in political cartoons
- Michael Gerson: Reinvigorating the GOP will...
- Timothy R. Clark: Graduation advice for my...
- Letters: Stop the witch hunt 35
- John Florez: Show leadership on... 31
- Letter: Media failure 25
- Letters: Threats justified 24
- Robert Bennett: Sticking to facts is... 23
- My view: People deserve rights at our... 19
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 19
- In our opinion: Limit the power of the... 18