Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- Letter: Prison nonsense
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the Union...
- Letter: Is hard work unorthodox?
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 57
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 27
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 20