Tom Smart, Deseret News
Miriam Walkingshaw's call for more gun laws ("Smart gun laws," Jan. 20) needs a reality check.
A major contributing factor to the Virginia Tech, Arizona and Aurora theater shootings: the psychiatrists involved failed their responsibilities to report. Perhaps she can take a suggestion from the Utah Health Department's posted study regarding children and injuries and deaths ages 1 to 19: "The magnitude of motor vehicle injuries is unequalled by any other injury type."
Walkingshaw would save more children's lives by fighting President Barack Obama's push for 54.5 mpg higher-mileage standards. They have contributed to far more child deaths by building newer vehicles with less safety protection due to less structural supports in vehicle bodies to save mileage over safety.
- What to watch with your family this...
- In our opinion: Immigration and compromise...
- Presidents pardoning turkeys
- George F. Will: Government’s legitimacy...
- Letter: Solution to Ferguson
- Letter: A dangerous precedent
- My view: Obama and Utah on the same page
- Kathleen Parker: True or not, Bill Cosby...