Dick Harmon: BYU coach Anae has hit the ground running — and hit it hard — as the Cougars' new offensive coordinator
BYU can't run Rodriguez's exact offense because the Cougars don't possess the breakneck speed demons it takes to, as Chip Kelly explained, "get fast guys the ball in space." It requires 10.6 100-meter-type sprinters in the backfield and slot and receiver spots and a quarterback that is jailbreak elusive and crazy fast.
Explained Rodriguez: "The main philosophy is us getting fast guys the ball in space. Whether you're throwing it to them or handing off to them, you're trying to get the guys the ball in space. The single hardest thing to do on defense is tackle in the open field."
I don't think Anae will implement all of Arizona's offense, but he will take elements of what he's learned and instill it with what BYU personnel can handle. This includes tweaking spread formations, wider stances by O-linemen, quarterbacks in the shotgun, increased use of slot receivers and tight ends and deployment of screens to spread defenses and soften up the middle of the field.
He'll also fine-tune the no-huddle to quicken the pace and keep defenses off balance. He did this at BYU before, but now he'll do it more — like all the time.
When Anae visited with recruit Kearsley in Oregon, Kearsley told KSL on Saturday, "Coach Anae told me 'There's no time for a huddle in football. We're just gonna go.' "
And Anae will design ways to free Jamaal Williams. You might see J.D. Falslev become more involved in dumps, quick hitch passes, downfield flies and posts, counter runs, traps and even the option.
Athletic director Tom Holmoe made a point in an interview on BYU-TV to say Anae will return BYU's offense to its traditional ways. It was unclear if that was style, production or both.
But none of this matters if Anae doesn't do one single thing that will ultimately make the difference in the Cougar offense: make his linemen tough.
That, Anae can do.
Once he gets off planes, out of his car and parks his feet.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- Hawaii trip had benefits for Utah Jazz aside...
- BYU football: 5 questions with an East...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 34
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17