TUCSON, Ariz. — Mary Beth Lofgren's 9.90 on the balance beam as Utah's final competitor of the night helped the No. 8 Utes fend off No. 13 Arizona, 196.600-196.075, and improve to 52-0 all-time against the Wildcats. It wasn't easy, even with a .750 cushion.
But when Becky Tutka had two big breaks on the beam for a 9.575 and Georgia Dabritz took her first tumble of the year for a 9.275, the meet suddenly was in doubt. Between the two mishaps, freshman Breanna Hughes, who celebrated her 19th birthday the day before, coolly hit a 9.80. Corrie Lothrop, the all-around winner with a season-best 39.40, scored a 9.80 to keep Utah (4-1) in the lead and Lofgren sealed the win with the best score of the night on the balance beam.
"We started a little nervous and finished a little nervous, but we took another step forward tonight," said coach Greg Marsden. "We did a good job on bars and beam in that we didn't give up the big one, but our first three up on bars swung a little tight and we had two problems on the beam. Vault and floor were spectacular.
The Utes won every individual title, taking the all-around (Lothrop), vault (Tory Wilson), bars (Dabritz), beam (Lofgren) and floor (Tutka). It was the third win in as many meets for Wilson, who matched her career-high of 9.95, also scored last week. Dabritz earned a 9.875 to tie for uneven bar honors, Tutka won the floor with a career-tying 9.90 and Lofgren's 9.90 beam routine also matched her personal best.
SOUTHERN UTAH 194.075, UTAH STATE 192.875: At Logan, Southern Utah scored a season-high 48.925 on vault, its highest team score of the night, during the final rotation to take a 194.075 victory over Utah State and Division III Hamline (Minn.), which scored 181.975. SUU was behind 0.550 points going into the final rotation, but a pair of career-high vaults from sophomores Rochelle Bernier and Brittney Jensen propelled the T-Birds ahead of the Aggies, who suffered three falls on the floor exercise. Utah State's Sarah Landes won the all-around with a 39.125. SUU's Caitlin Kennedy (38.750) finished second.
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- BYU football: Alani Fua may be next Cougar...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 167
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 35
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 30
- Watch list roundup: 22 local players... 26