Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
In its endorsement of Rep. Jim Matheson's violent video game bill, the Deseret News misses an important question: Are children under 18 able today to buy M-rated video games?
The salient facts are that 1) virtually all video games today have ratings on them and 2) nearly all retailers will not sell M-rated games to minors. So what would be the likely effect of Rep. Matheson's bill that the Deseret News endorses? Bigger government without noticeable improvements to the social landscape. This is a bill intended to make its supporters feel good about doing something, and nothing else. No, thank you.
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- About Utah: Others opened the door, but she...
- Doug Robinson: Leonardo chief's doing a job...
- My view: Biggest reason for physician shortage
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look at the...
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 37
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 35
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19