Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
In its endorsement of Rep. Jim Matheson's violent video game bill, the Deseret News misses an important question: Are children under 18 able today to buy M-rated video games?
The salient facts are that 1) virtually all video games today have ratings on them and 2) nearly all retailers will not sell M-rated games to minors. So what would be the likely effect of Rep. Matheson's bill that the Deseret News endorses? Bigger government without noticeable improvements to the social landscape. This is a bill intended to make its supporters feel good about doing something, and nothing else. No, thank you.
- My view: Obama has you cornered with K-12...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Letter: Human body
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on Mexican...
- Steve Eaton: Sundance the Talking Dog is gone
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: A more...
- My view: Use of force debate should recognize...
- In our opinion: School libraries need...
- Five principles to help guide public... 98
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 63
- Letter: Human body 39
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 19
- Robert J. Samuelson: The trouble with... 15
- Drew Clark: We need to consider... 15
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 15
- Letter: Transportation component 11