Ravell Call, Deseret News archives
In its endorsement of Rep. Jim Matheson's violent video game bill, the Deseret News misses an important question: Are children under 18 able today to buy M-rated video games?
The salient facts are that 1) virtually all video games today have ratings on them and 2) nearly all retailers will not sell M-rated games to minors. So what would be the likely effect of Rep. Matheson's bill that the Deseret News endorses? Bigger government without noticeable improvements to the social landscape. This is a bill intended to make its supporters feel good about doing something, and nothing else. No, thank you.
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Letter: Welfare reform
- Legitimate, productive businesses are...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Becoming mentally...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 80
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 54
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising... 53
- Capitalism and the common good:... 45
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Federal contracting... 36