Davis, Weber school districts delay start of school due to icy road conditions
The Davis School District announced Friday morning that schools in the district will be starting two hours later than originally scheduled due to ongoing icy road conditions that came as a result of a rare freezing rain storm in Utah.
According to the message sent out to parents in the district, afternoon kindergarten is also canceled Friday, but all evening activities will take place as scheduled. Any additional changes will be announced by 1 p.m., the district said.
The Weber School District, Legacy Preparatory Academy, NUAMES in Layton, Spectrum Academy in North Salt Lake and Maria Montessori charter school in North Ogden are also on a 2-hour delay Friday. Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind will see a two-hour delay for its Weber, Ogden and Davis county routes. All other routes will operate as normal.
Ogden, Granite, Jordan and Canyons school districts are all operating on schedule.
The Utah Department of Transportation said icy road conditions are expected to continue through 10 a.m. Friday along the Wasatch Front, in Tooele and in Cache Valley, and predicted that areas of road ice and patchy road snow will continue for certain mountain routes.
Slick roads are reported in Davis and Weber counties, as well as in the Salt Lake Valley Friday, but traffic issues are far less severe than those encountered Thursday morning.
The Utah Highway Patrol said it responded to 26 weather-related accidents between 9 p.m. Thursday and 3 a.m. Friday. Four of those crashes results in injuries.
KSL meteorologist Grant Weyman told the Deseret News Thursday that the inversion along the Wasatch Front helped lead to the storm, when rain in the upper, warmer air hit the cold valley air.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Darrien's day: Controversy put aside as man...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 111
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 40
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- New definition of homeless would give... 28
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20