Davis, Weber school districts delay start of school due to icy road conditions
The Davis School District announced Friday morning that schools in the district will be starting two hours later than originally scheduled due to ongoing icy road conditions that came as a result of a rare freezing rain storm in Utah.
According to the message sent out to parents in the district, afternoon kindergarten is also canceled Friday, but all evening activities will take place as scheduled. Any additional changes will be announced by 1 p.m., the district said.
The Weber School District, Legacy Preparatory Academy, NUAMES in Layton, Spectrum Academy in North Salt Lake and Maria Montessori charter school in North Ogden are also on a 2-hour delay Friday. Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind will see a two-hour delay for its Weber, Ogden and Davis county routes. All other routes will operate as normal.
Ogden, Granite, Jordan and Canyons school districts are all operating on schedule.
The Utah Department of Transportation said icy road conditions are expected to continue through 10 a.m. Friday along the Wasatch Front, in Tooele and in Cache Valley, and predicted that areas of road ice and patchy road snow will continue for certain mountain routes.
Slick roads are reported in Davis and Weber counties, as well as in the Salt Lake Valley Friday, but traffic issues are far less severe than those encountered Thursday morning.
The Utah Highway Patrol said it responded to 26 weather-related accidents between 9 p.m. Thursday and 3 a.m. Friday. Four of those crashes results in injuries.
KSL meteorologist Grant Weyman told the Deseret News Thursday that the inversion along the Wasatch Front helped lead to the storm, when rain in the upper, warmer air hit the cold valley air.
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 53
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 41
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 41
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 15
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 15