NEW YORK — A sharp drop in Apple's stock pulled the Nasdaq down with it after the tech giant warned of weaker sales. Other stock-market indexes eked out slight gains.
Apple sank $63.50 to $430.50. With iPhone sales hitting a plateau and no new products to introduce, Apple said sales would likely increase just 7 percent in the current quarter. That's a letdown for a company that has regularly posted growth rates above 50 percent.
The Standard & Poor's 500 index edged up 0.01 of a point to 1,494.82. Earlier in the day, the S&P 500 crossed above 1,500 for the first time since December 2007.
The broad gauge of the stock market has already gained 4.8 percent this year and climbed seven days in a row.
One reason for the market's recent rise is that some of the biggest obstacles have been pushed aside, said Brian Gendreau, a market strategist at Cetera Financial Group. On Wednesday, the House of Representatives agreed to suspend the federal government's borrowing limit until May 19, allowing the U.S. to keep paying its bills for another four months.
"Politics is off the table for now, and Europe seems like it's stable. So what's left? It's earnings. And aside from Apple, it seems like pretty good news," Gendreau said.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 46 points to close at 13,825.33. The Nasdaq fell 23.29 points to 3,130.38. The 12 percent drop in Apple, which makes up 10 percent of the Nasdaq, was enough to bog down the index.
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- Young adults prefer to share chores and...
- Balancing act: Organizations slowly move...
- After setting iPhone record, what does Apple...
- Dave Ramsey says: Make changes to save money
- Index indicates Utah economy thriving
- Michelle Singletary: Making personal finance...
- Knocking doors: What to know before signing...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Utah has fourth largest gender wage... 12
- Business community supports tax... 9
- Greek radical left wins election,... 3
- Knocking doors: What to know before... 3
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 2
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 2
- Faith leaders: your secret weapon in... 2