Netflix expects to build on the momentum by adding as many as 2.1 million more subscribers in the current quarter, which will include the release of a highly anticipated TV series called "House of Cards" made exclusively for the company. In the upcoming months, Netflix will debut several more pieces of original programming, including the fourth season of the critically acclaimed "Arrested Development," which ended its run on network TV in 2006.
"People love Netflix, but the original programming is something magic," Hastings said in a Wednesday interview. "It is definitely going to take our relationship with (subscribers) to an even better and more intense place."
Some analysts remain wary of Netflix because of the video-licensing bills that have been piling up. Through December, Netflix owed $5.6 billion during the next five years, up from $5 billion at the end of December. Although the company didn't break down how much paid this year, Wedbush Securities estimates the amount at $2.5 billion.
"I think the company is genuinely mistaken in how it thinks it is going to manage content costs," Pachter said. "This is truly a house of cards and it's going to come crashing down this year."
Even Pachter was impressed with Netflix's fourth-quarter performance. It caused him to raise his 12-month price target on Netflix's stock from $45 to $55.
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- As times get better can you keep a leash on...
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of the...
- Millennials relying on prepaid cards and...
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey on trust
- Want a better return on your college...
- Got weeds? Hire a goat
- Utah high school students receive engineering...
- Want a better return on your college... 17
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 17
- In faith communities, fraudsters prey... 10
- Efforts to stop excavation at Point of... 6
- Got weeds? Hire a goat 2
- Private school in Texas gives students... 2
- Highly efficient 'passive homes' gain... 1
- Secret to Prism program: It's just one... 1