I must confess that I am unable to see how the recent executive orders and suggestions of President Obama on gun control might infringe upon our constitutional rights or weaken our ability to defend ourselves. I likewise fail to understand the visceral hatred by some of President Obama, who, may I say, seems rather capable and principled.
Moreover, I question the paranoia that characterizes our government as a nefarious organization of closet traitors whose secret agenda it is to subvert our constitution and rob us of our freedoms.
I'm further puzzled by simplistic political jingoism whose only contribution it seems is confusion, by ideological mindsets at the expense of virtue and meaningful insight and the conviction that any concession becomes a slippery slope.
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: In marriage...
- In our opinion: 'If it ain't broke' ...
- Letter: Pulling down signs
- My view: Let's get Congress working again for...
- My view: U.S. faces grim future in Middle East
- My View: Children need mother and father
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah be in the Central...
- My view: It’s time for the brave to lead
- Jay Evensen: IRS abuses continue... 46
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: In marriage... 42
- Letter: Waiving rights 37
- The most important speech in Ronald... 36
- My view: Herbert should pick law... 32
- Letter: Common Core jeopardy 30
- My view: U.S. faces grim future in... 30
- Robert J. Samuelson: Wages stay... 29