I support President Obama's plan to reduce gun violence. I see nothing that jeopardizes a citizen's Second Amendment rights or threatens to take away a citizen's right to bear arms.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a common slogan that I hear repeated continually. I doubt that the loss of life would have been as great as it was at Sandy Hook Elementary had the assailant been unable to obtain an assault rifle and magazines of ammunition. Assault rifles and similar weapons were designed for war and killing the enemy by laying down a "field of fire." It's tragic that the purchase of assault rifles and other weapons was ever allowed among the general public.
Now is the time to do something about gun violence.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- Letter: Drones or privacy
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 27
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 15
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14