I support President Obama's plan to reduce gun violence. I see nothing that jeopardizes a citizen's Second Amendment rights or threatens to take away a citizen's right to bear arms.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a common slogan that I hear repeated continually. I doubt that the loss of life would have been as great as it was at Sandy Hook Elementary had the assailant been unable to obtain an assault rifle and magazines of ammunition. Assault rifles and similar weapons were designed for war and killing the enemy by laying down a "field of fire." It's tragic that the purchase of assault rifles and other weapons was ever allowed among the general public.
Now is the time to do something about gun violence.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Identifying...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 68
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23
- Letter: Proper priority 23
- Letter: Voting like a liberal 22