I support President Obama's plan to reduce gun violence. I see nothing that jeopardizes a citizen's Second Amendment rights or threatens to take away a citizen's right to bear arms.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a common slogan that I hear repeated continually. I doubt that the loss of life would have been as great as it was at Sandy Hook Elementary had the assailant been unable to obtain an assault rifle and magazines of ammunition. Assault rifles and similar weapons were designed for war and killing the enemy by laying down a "field of fire." It's tragic that the purchase of assault rifles and other weapons was ever allowed among the general public.
Now is the time to do something about gun violence.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: The 3 levels of Christmas
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- W. Bradford Wilcox: Why the working-class...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Cogitating on...
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 62
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 45
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah raise its gas... 28