I support President Obama's plan to reduce gun violence. I see nothing that jeopardizes a citizen's Second Amendment rights or threatens to take away a citizen's right to bear arms.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a common slogan that I hear repeated continually. I doubt that the loss of life would have been as great as it was at Sandy Hook Elementary had the assailant been unable to obtain an assault rifle and magazines of ammunition. Assault rifles and similar weapons were designed for war and killing the enemy by laying down a "field of fire." It's tragic that the purchase of assault rifles and other weapons was ever allowed among the general public.
Now is the time to do something about gun violence.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Letter: Sluggish global warming
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: For my grandpa
- Letter: Campaign disservice
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 107
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 40
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 30
- Letter: Sluggish global warming 30