I support President Obama's plan to reduce gun violence. I see nothing that jeopardizes a citizen's Second Amendment rights or threatens to take away a citizen's right to bear arms.
"Guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a common slogan that I hear repeated continually. I doubt that the loss of life would have been as great as it was at Sandy Hook Elementary had the assailant been unable to obtain an assault rifle and magazines of ammunition. Assault rifles and similar weapons were designed for war and killing the enemy by laying down a "field of fire." It's tragic that the purchase of assault rifles and other weapons was ever allowed among the general public.
Now is the time to do something about gun violence.
Salt Lake City
- President Boyd K. Packer — 'defender'...
- In our opinion: Declaration of Independence...
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Patriotism has not died
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- Letter: The Fourth
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Greg Bell: Smartphones, tablets, laptops are...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21