Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Local Muslims end Ramadan with celebration
- LDS Church releases more tickets for Ogden...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5