Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- President Henry B. Eyring: 'The Comforter'
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- From log cabin to university, BYU-Idaho...
- Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson: 'Defenders of the...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 166
- Why I don’t call myself a... 92
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 63
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- General Women's Session focuses on... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 16
- State bills to protect religious... 11
- Returning LDS missionary, father... 8