Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- President Uchtdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved legal...
- Well-prepared Scouts rescue couple off Mount...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- 100 inspirational quotes from Mormon leaders
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- Comic: Overcome with the spirit
- Wedding industry illustrates unresolved... 49
- BYU coach, players answer questions at... 17
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common... 12
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 7
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former... 6
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10... 6
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks 3
- Hindu festival celebrates birth of Lord... 2