Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith, the stone,...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore chain says
- 18 must-see attractions on and around Temple...
- Significant LDS Church history discovery made
- Finding faith in an anatomy lab
- Defending the Faith: Joseph Smith, the... 99
- Why I don’t call myself a... 87
- Hamblin & Peterson: Do religions try to... 52
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 36
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 25
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17