Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- Mormon mission president held, robbed by...
- LDS missionaries meet London teen battling...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- New Harmony: Now pitching for the Angels:...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 11
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 10
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 7
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 7
- 5 must-see answers to faith's biggest... 7
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian... 5
- LDS missionaries meet London teen... 5