Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- 10 things to do with an LDS account
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- LDS apostles return to southern South America...
- Home-school culture shifting away from...
- Faith sustained author through rejection,...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 58
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 47
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 32
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 28
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 27
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 24
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20