Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Mormon mission president held, robbed by...
- LDS missionaries meet London teen battling...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- New Harmony: Now pitching for the Angels:...
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 11
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 10
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- 5 must-see answers to faith's biggest... 7
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 6
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 6
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian... 5