Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Mormon thrill ride creator still generating...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 17
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 12
- Russians' views on religion are... 9
- LDS World: Western author Wallace... 6