Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- President and Sister Uchtdorf visit site of...
- Mormon Mentions: Bryce Harper posts about his...
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment' during...
- In Germany, secular...
- Muslims celebrate lifting of Lagos hijab ban
- Does Hollywood demean — or misrepresent...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees;... 30
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 27
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 18
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 13
- Donald Trump's 'evangelical moment'... 12
- What motivates (the few) evangelicals... 12
- James Dobson joins evangelicals for Trump 11
- How would you describe God in just one... 11