Karen Workman, Deseret News archives
Our take: Plans to construct the Fort Lauderdale Temple were announced on Oct. 3, 2009, by LDS Church President Monson. The groundbreaking for the temple occurred on June 18, 2011. As construction on the temple nears completion, members of the community are taking notice. In this Local 10 report, a member of the church in Florida discusses the significance of this building.
It is one of the fastest growing faiths the South Florida area: Mormonism.
According to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, within the last year their congregation has more than doubled in sized in this area. This is just one of the reasons why the Mormon church as decided to build a temple in Davie.
There are only 140 temples worldwide and just one in the state of Florida. It's located in Orlando.
That's why the new temple being built in Davie is such a big deal for Jim Robinson and his family.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 57
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 17
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 10
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7