Matthew Ballestero, Facebook
Our take: After Linda Alexander, 70, suffered a stoke, she forgot how to speak and read except for the phrase, "I love you." Her longtime boyfriend, 82-year-old John Allen, takes her to a local Starbucks six mornings a week for a reading lesson. A bystander shot a photo of the two which has gone viral and been seen by more than 2 million people.
Its a picture that has warmed 2 million hearts and counting.
In it, a man uses flash cards to help his sweetheart relearn the alphabet. The photo was snapped by a stranger captivated by the elderly couples unconditional devotion to each other.
"We could feel the love emanating off of them," said Matthew Ballestero, who took the picture earlier this month while with friends at a local Starbucks. The coffee shop is the site where 82-year-old John Allen takes his longtime love, Linda Alexander, for her reading lesson six mornings a week.
Alexander, 70, lost much of her memory after a sudden illness five years ago led to a stroke and severe brain damage. "For a while, I couldnt even talk — except to say, 'I love you,'" she told NBC's Kristen Dahlgren in a segment that aired Wednesday on TODAY.
Read more about Viral portrait of love: Man teaches girlfriend to read after str on TODAY News.
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- 42 ways to make your kids feel absolutely loved
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- 'I am Adam Lanza's Mother' author Liza Long...
- Woman's happiness most important to having a...
- The Clean Cut: Military father surprises...
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite again for...
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Things that changed my view of marriage... 19
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 13
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 9
- Jon Heder becomes Napoleon Dynamite... 9
- 42 ways to make your kids feel... 7
- How net neutrality impacts online news... 6
- Woman's happiness most important to... 5