A car is not designed to kill like guns are ("It's clear: limit vehicles," Jan. 2). Its purpose is to transport people safely from point A to point B. The safety features required in their production are outside the car. The only safety feature on a gun is the safety lock.
Pistols are designed to kill at close range. Rifles are designed to kill at a longer distance. And automatic guns are designed to kill more than one living thing quickly.
Don't get caught up in an old western movie mentality where the good guy wears a gun to protect everyone from the bad guy who also wears a gun.
As a former school teacher, I can predict that school personnel with guns can only result in children and adults being harmed.
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- Scandals hiding in plain sight
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Charles Krauthammer: The role of a great...
- Michael Gerson: No time to lead from behind
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 81
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 61
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 56
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 48
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37