Griego initially told arriving officers he had come home Saturday morning after spending time at a friend's house to discover his family dead, court documents say. The teen later confessed to shooting his mother because he "had anger issues" and was annoyed with her, the records say.
The teen had no history of mental illness, and drugs and alcohol didn't appear to be a factor, Houston said. He did note, however, that the teen liked violent video games, including "Modern Warfare" and "Grand Theft Auto." Houston did not say whether he believed the games were a factor.
Greg Griego was a gang member-turned pastor who had once served at Calvary, one of Albuquerque's largest Christian churches. He had an extensive arrest record from his gang days, but was best known throughout the law enforcement community for his work as a voluntary chaplain.
A records check by the Children, Youth and Families Department indicated no problems with the Griego family and that Nehemiah Griego had never been in trouble with the law.
Sheriff's Deputy Aaron Williamson confirmed there was no history of any emergency calls to the home in the recent past.
"This is beyond any human reasoning or understanding," Houston said.
"It's horrific. What other words do you use? This is certainly the first time that I have been into a crime scene with this much destruction at one home."
In addition to the two rifles, there were two 12-gauge pistol-grip shotguns in the home, Houston said. Griego's father had taught him to use guns, and they shot together on a regular basis, Houston said.
The house had a security-style sign outside saying "Protected by Smith & Wesson Security Services."
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- White House intruder identified as Army...
- Ex-stepson: White House intruder meant no harm
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 8
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 5