Griego initially told arriving officers he had come home Saturday morning after spending time at a friend's house to discover his family dead, court documents say. The teen later confessed to shooting his mother because he "had anger issues" and was annoyed with her, the records say.
The teen had no history of mental illness, and drugs and alcohol didn't appear to be a factor, Houston said. He did note, however, that the teen liked violent video games, including "Modern Warfare" and "Grand Theft Auto." Houston did not say whether he believed the games were a factor.
Greg Griego was a gang member-turned pastor who had once served at Calvary, one of Albuquerque's largest Christian churches. He had an extensive arrest record from his gang days, but was best known throughout the law enforcement community for his work as a voluntary chaplain.
A records check by the Children, Youth and Families Department indicated no problems with the Griego family and that Nehemiah Griego had never been in trouble with the law.
Sheriff's Deputy Aaron Williamson confirmed there was no history of any emergency calls to the home in the recent past.
"This is beyond any human reasoning or understanding," Houston said.
"It's horrific. What other words do you use? This is certainly the first time that I have been into a crime scene with this much destruction at one home."
In addition to the two rifles, there were two 12-gauge pistol-grip shotguns in the home, Houston said. Griego's father had taught him to use guns, and they shot together on a regular basis, Houston said.
The house had a security-style sign outside saying "Protected by Smith & Wesson Security Services."
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian plane;...
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's...
- Malaysian plane mystery: Stolen passports, 5...
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming landowner;...
- Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers...
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Senate Democrats choose election strategy:...
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 22
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 22
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 14
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9
- Survey: Uninsured rate drops from 17.1... 9
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian... 9