Our take: Mentions of "church history" often conjure mental images of yellowing journal pages and weary feet trekking across baren plains, but for Latter-day Saints in Mongolia, their history began just a little more than 20 years ago. Today, the area has one stake, created in 2009, and the . Learn more about Mormons in Mongolia in this LDS Living article.
It all started with a hunting trip.
Monte J. Brough, who would later be called to the Seventy, traveled to Mongolia to hunt in 1984 — and he instantly fell in love with the Mongolian people.
"I remember I prayed that one day they would hear the gospel," said Elder Brough, in his report on the opening of Mongolia to the gospel.
He returned to Mongolia in 1992, this time as a member of the Asia Area Presidency, to explore the possibility of the church offering humanitarian aid to the country. After months of negotiation, the church was permitted to send six missionary couples to teach the gospel and assist in the country's higher education fund.
'There are no handbooks. There is no pattern, so we didn't really know what to do," said Elder Brough, who passed away in 2011. "But we believe there was a lot of inspiration in what happened. ... Our feeling was that if we could do something on a humanitarian basis, we could gain access to the country. We found enormous receptivity to that."
And the rest? Beautiful history.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 71
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 59
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 41
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11