WEST VALLEY CITY — The Idaho Steelheads added a late empty-netter to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 5-3 Monday afternoon before a matinee crowd of 7,238 at the Maverik Center.
Utah had a stretch of 40-straight shots denied by Idaho goaltender Tyler Beskorowany.
Utah battled back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits early on to tie before Idaho scored two goals in 3:28 to make the game 4-2. Utah tied the game at 1 as Gaelan Patterson slapped home a rebound with two seconds left on a power-play. After Idaho scored with 13 seconds left in the first, Evan Stoflet's first goal of the year made it 2-2 46 seconds into the second period.
Utah made it 4-3 with 27 seconds left as Adam Estoclet hammered in a rebound.
"We score that goal, we get a post up and we can't get a guy to win a battle to get a puck deep," said Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 33
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28