JAKE MILES, Morgan, boys basketball: In wins against Logan and Ogden last week the 6-foot-2 marksman dropped 57 points collectively to lead 3A's top ranked Trojans.
Currently, Miles leads 3A in scoring (26.9 ppg) and ranks second in the state. He's one of only three players in 3A to average above 20 points.
Miles is a savvy guard that instinctively gets to the free-throw line. The uncontested freebies allow him to find his stroke from the get-go each night.
"When I get to the free-throw line, it opens up other ways to score and I get more confidence in my shot," Miles said after scoring 38 points against Bear River while shooting 15-of-15 from the stripe.
In 16 games, Miles has scored more than 20 points 11 times and above 30 six times including a career-high 39 points against Tooele. Morgan is 14-2 and 7-0 in Region 11 having won nine consecutive games.
KAITLYN HURLEY, Roy, girls basketball: Junior point guard Kaitlyn Hurley was blessed with athletic ability. But the fact that she scores an average of 20.57 points per game is not the reason her teammates respect her.
"She works extremely hard," said Roy head coach Brock Randall of the junior honor student. "She sacrifices a lot in her personal life to gain the skills she has. She's given up a lot of opportunity to be good at this game."
Hurley's skills and leadership have the Royals off to a 2-1 start in a very competitive Region 5. Randall said Hurley's efforts have made her a tougher all-around player.
"She's quite an athlete," he said. "She's probably one of the purest shooters I've ever had the opportunity to coach. She has natural athleticism, but she puts in a lot of hard work. … The team identifies with her competitive nature and they really look to follow that."
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 90
- High school football: 2016 schedules... 5
- Layton junior high wrestler loses... 3
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 1
- Skyridge High School 2016 football... 0
- Ridgeline High School 2016 football... 0