Pablo Martinez Monsivais, AP
Our take: "We must find an alternative to war and bloodshed." Martin Luther King Jr. spoke these words in the Washington National Cathedral just four days before he was killed. But in light of the many acts of gun violence recently, they are tremendously relevant today. In a column for Politico, Rev. Gary Hall discusses how the faith community has agreed on five basic principles to help stem senseless acts of gun violence, including strengthening "our mental health system to better support families" and reforming "our seemingly endless cultural glorification of violence."
The preacher who goes into Washington National Cathedrals massive Canterbury Pulpit must climb eight steps to get there. On the Sundays when I preach, I remember those who have spoken in that space before me. I think especially of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., as I climb each one of those steps.
On Sunday, December 16, 2012, I climbed those eight steps and addressed the deaths of 28 people 20 of them children by gun violence in Newtown, Conn. I thought of Dr. King every step of the way. I tried, in that sermon, to articulate what God is calling the 21st-century faith community to do in the wake of shootings. And I came to this conclusion: The best way for us to mourn the Sandy Hook shooting is to mobilize the faith community for gun control.
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do better...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Letter: Police brutality
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 78
- Letter: Police brutality 58
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 31
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 29
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 27
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs... 26
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's... 23