UNICEF estimates there are about 740,000 children not in parental custody in Russia — and 105,000 live in orphanages. Russia has been trying to increase domestic adoptions and says about 18,000 Russians are on the waiting list to adopt a child.
The number of domestic adoptions fell in recent years: Russians in 2011 adopted 7,416 children, a drop of more than 2,100 from 2007, according to Education Ministry figures published in the newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda.
The same report showed that Americans adopted 956 Russian children in 2011, 89 of them classified as disabled.
Chuck Johnson of the Virginia-based National Council for Adoption has commended Russia for trying to improve its child-welfare system, and was elated in November when the U.S. and Russia completed a long-in-the-works adoption treaty. Now, he's dismayed at the ban and its emotional toll on the affected U.S. families.
"The way the information is being given out is really cruel," he said. "This has been a very discouraging and bitter outcome."
For the Bonners, however, there's no option but to persevere — especially in light of bureaucratic setbacks last year that twice made them think their adoption quest was doomed.
"Two times it looked like there was no way it was going to work out, and we grieved through that," Jeana Bonner said. "It just hurts and is so painful.
"This time we're going to be a hopeful as possible. We're not going to give up until we've exhausted every possible avenue."
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- 'Star Trek: Into Darkness' does $70.6M but...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi...
- 2 men arrested in killing over iPad in Las Vegas
- Measles surges in UK years after flawed...
- Associated Press CEO calls records seizure...
- White House insists Obama was not involved in...
- Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records,... 65
- White House insists Obama was not... 22
- Journalists push back against Obama... 21
- Associated Press CEO calls records... 20
- House chairman sees IRS targeting as... 16
- Republicans try to link IRS scandal,... 12
- President Obama walking a familiar path... 11
- Tea party looks to take advantage of... 11