It continues to amaze me that lawmakers are arrogant enough to believe that the answer to any problem is to make more laws.
We currently have laws against murder, robbery, fraud, assault, abuse, speeding and countless other issues, and not one of these has prevented people from breaking the law.
By definition, a criminal breaks the law, and more laws made simply means more laws will be broken by criminals, and more shackles will be placed on those who do obey the law.
When the president unveiled his new gun plan, I immediately thought of a quote from "Star Wars: Episode III" — "So this is how liberty dies. ... with thunderous applause."
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: In marriage...
- Politicians being awkward at Halloween
- My View: Children need mother and father
- In our opinion: 'If it ain't broke' ...
- Letter: Pulling down signs
- My view: Let's get Congress working again for...
- My view: U.S. faces grim future in Middle East
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah be in the Central...
- Jay Evensen: IRS abuses continue... 46
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: In marriage... 41
- Letter: Waiving rights 37
- The most important speech in Ronald... 36
- My view: Herbert should pick law... 32
- Letter: Common Core jeopardy 30
- My view: U.S. faces grim future in... 30
- Robert J. Samuelson: Wages stay... 29