Despite the many improvements in mental health care over the past four decades, there have been some terrible failures: overworked family care providers often abused by or abusing those for whom they care or jails and courts overburdened by the mentally ill.
Headline-grabbing tragedies destroy lives and change communities. Words like Gabby Gifford and Newtown have become shorthand for unthinkable horror. All acts involved mentally ill perpetrators not adequately handled by a system designed only to protect the mentally ill from society.
Now, we have apparently decided that we cannot restrict the civil rights of the mentally ill few, so we contemplate restricting the civil rights of all in order to pretend that we are safer.
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 42
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Medically fragile 38
- Letter: Duties of the job 26
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 24
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the... 23