Despite the many improvements in mental health care over the past four decades, there have been some terrible failures: overworked family care providers often abused by or abusing those for whom they care or jails and courts overburdened by the mentally ill.
Headline-grabbing tragedies destroy lives and change communities. Words like Gabby Gifford and Newtown have become shorthand for unthinkable horror. All acts involved mentally ill perpetrators not adequately handled by a system designed only to protect the mentally ill from society.
Now, we have apparently decided that we cannot restrict the civil rights of the mentally ill few, so we contemplate restricting the civil rights of all in order to pretend that we are safer.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 104
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 100
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 45
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- A. Scott Anderson: Energy development... 32
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 28