Despite the many improvements in mental health care over the past four decades, there have been some terrible failures: overworked family care providers often abused by or abusing those for whom they care or jails and courts overburdened by the mentally ill.
Headline-grabbing tragedies destroy lives and change communities. Words like Gabby Gifford and Newtown have become shorthand for unthinkable horror. All acts involved mentally ill perpetrators not adequately handled by a system designed only to protect the mentally ill from society.
Now, we have apparently decided that we cannot restrict the civil rights of the mentally ill few, so we contemplate restricting the civil rights of all in order to pretend that we are safer.
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- My view: In the name of God?
- My view: Doing away with cursive is bad idea...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 62
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 43
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30