Despite the many improvements in mental health care over the past four decades, there have been some terrible failures: overworked family care providers often abused by or abusing those for whom they care or jails and courts overburdened by the mentally ill.
Headline-grabbing tragedies destroy lives and change communities. Words like Gabby Gifford and Newtown have become shorthand for unthinkable horror. All acts involved mentally ill perpetrators not adequately handled by a system designed only to protect the mentally ill from society.
Now, we have apparently decided that we cannot restrict the civil rights of the mentally ill few, so we contemplate restricting the civil rights of all in order to pretend that we are safer.
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the Union...
- Letter: Prison nonsense
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in religious...
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 35
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 21
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21