Jessica Hill, Associated Press
HARTFORD, Conn. — Hundreds rallied Saturday at the state Capitol, many carrying signs of protest, as part of demonstrations across the nation to express concern about increased gun control efforts since last month's deadly school shooting in Newtown.
If restrictions are enacted, "once you go down that road, then where does it stop?" asked Bob Butler, who traveled from Mystic to protest with his wife and young children. "My kids are living in a time that is so scary, and I feel for the parents in Newtown, but I don't believe we should see more gun laws."
Butler, who also said he's opposed to any type of gun registry, was among hundreds of gun owners and Second Amendment advocates who rallied in state capitals nationwide Saturday, days after President Barack Obama unveiled a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals.
About 1,000 people showed up in Hartford, Capitol police said. One man carried an AR-15 assault weapon and wore a green and white ribbon on his lapel, the Sandy Hook Elementary school colors.
Scott Wilson, president of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League, which advocates for Second Amendment rights, spoke of being adamant about protecting the amendment.
"Law-abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves," he said.
"I am a wife, a first responder, and a mother," said Lisa Davenport of Durham, carrying a sign that read "Mom, wife, patriot, Christian, I own guns," She added, "We need to step back and not try to legislate away a horrible tragedy."
Task forces created by the legislature and Gov. Dannel Malloy are considering changes to state gun laws, and gun control supporters plan a Valentine's Day rally at the Capitol.
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on...
- A place with a view: Inside NYC's tallest...
- Cause sought for space-supply rocket explosion
- Chocolate compound restores age-related...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution is not...
- Balancing act: Stress, burnout, mistakes top...
- Gunfire, arrests erupt as Giants fans revel...
- Pope Francis: ‘Evolution ... 61
- Pastor who performed gay marriage keeps... 29
- Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold... 22
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 19
- Churches proceed carefully when... 16
- George P. Bush says dad Jeb Bush is... 15
- Obama on Ebola fight: US can't seal... 11
- Poll: 2 of 3 Americans say Islamic... 10