Jessica Hill, Associated Press
HARTFORD, Conn. — Hundreds rallied Saturday at the state Capitol, many carrying signs of protest, as part of demonstrations across the nation to express concern about increased gun control efforts since last month's deadly school shooting in Newtown.
If restrictions are enacted, "once you go down that road, then where does it stop?" asked Bob Butler, who traveled from Mystic to protest with his wife and young children. "My kids are living in a time that is so scary, and I feel for the parents in Newtown, but I don't believe we should see more gun laws."
Butler, who also said he's opposed to any type of gun registry, was among hundreds of gun owners and Second Amendment advocates who rallied in state capitals nationwide Saturday, days after President Barack Obama unveiled a sweeping package of federal gun-control proposals.
About 1,000 people showed up in Hartford, Capitol police said. One man carried an AR-15 assault weapon and wore a green and white ribbon on his lapel, the Sandy Hook Elementary school colors.
Scott Wilson, president of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League, which advocates for Second Amendment rights, spoke of being adamant about protecting the amendment.
"Law-abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves," he said.
"I am a wife, a first responder, and a mother," said Lisa Davenport of Durham, carrying a sign that read "Mom, wife, patriot, Christian, I own guns," She added, "We need to step back and not try to legislate away a horrible tragedy."
Task forces created by the legislature and Gov. Dannel Malloy are considering changes to state gun laws, and gun control supporters plan a Valentine's Day rally at the Capitol.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Medicaid enrollees strain Oregon; state...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Plane crashes while landing in Taiwan,...
- Dutch say plane's black box damaged but not...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 48
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 23
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 15
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 14