Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton urges participation in service projects
Steve Helber, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton urged people to participate in service projects, saying there's a chain of service that links generations of Americans from all across the country.
Clinton is the daughter of former President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. On Saturday she spoke at a summit on the National Mall for the National Day of Service.
Clinton said she was inspired by the volunteer work of her grandmother, Dorothy Rodham, who began as a child volunteer teaching migrant workers English and kept up her volunteer efforts for her entire life.
President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, are participating in service projects throughout the Washington area.
Volunteers also are organizing service events in all 50 states.
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Grieving borrowers told to repay student loan
- Justin Bieber apologizes for Japan war shrine...
- Sherpas leave Everest; some expeditions nix...
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's affirmative...
- Wellness programs grow more popular with...
- Keflezighi's Boston win a boost for shoe sponsor
- Misdiagnosed bipolar: One girl’s...
- Affordable Care Act only chips away at... 26
- Supreme Court upholds Michigan's... 25
- Judge: Indiana hasn't given valid... 20
- Grieving borrowers told to repay... 19
- Vegas’ water drying up 15
- Public smoke-out marks pot holiday in... 12
- Some countries get Obama, but want his... 11
- Boogeymen and shady deals define spin... 11