Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton urges participation in service projects
Steve Helber, Associated Press
WASHINGTON — Former first daughter Chelsea Clinton urged people to participate in service projects, saying there's a chain of service that links generations of Americans from all across the country.
Clinton is the daughter of former President Bill Clinton and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton. On Saturday she spoke at a summit on the National Mall for the National Day of Service.
Clinton said she was inspired by the volunteer work of her grandmother, Dorothy Rodham, who began as a child volunteer teaching migrant workers English and kept up her volunteer efforts for her entire life.
President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and his wife, Jill, are participating in service projects throughout the Washington area.
Volunteers also are organizing service events in all 50 states.
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- What people never mention when they talk...
- 9 films advance in Oscars shortlist for best...
- Think your marital status is important? The...
- A chance to breach divide for young in Cuba...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8