Ben Brewer, Deseret News
INDIANAPOLIS — BYU women's soccer defender Lindsi Lisonbee Cutshall was drafted fourth overall this morning to play for Sky Blue FC in the National Women's Soccer League on Friday.
"This is such a huge honor for me and I'm so excited to continue playing soccer at the next level," Cutshall said. "I'm so grateful for amazing coaches, teammates and family that have supported me and made me better."
The 2013 NWSL draft was four rounds with 32 players being allocated to eight different teams. Kendall Johnson from Portland and Roxanne Barker from Pepperdine were the other two players from the West Coast Conference drafted.
Sky Blue Soccer is located in New Jersey and was a member of Women's Professional Soccer for all three seasons, beginning in 2009 with the launch. Sky Blue FC won the inaugural WPS Championship in 2009.
"What an honor for Lindsi," said BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood. "She is such a hard worker and skilled player. I know she'll be successful at the next level. It has been such a privilege to coach her for four years and see her progress as an athlete."
After leading BYU to its first NCAA Tournament Elite Eight appearance in nine years, Cutshall was named the West Coast Conference Player of the Year.
The National Women's Soccer League is the top level professional women's soccer league in the United States. It is set to begin play in spring 2013 with eight teams.
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 23
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14